Iran to spend $260m on boosting missile programme in response to sanctions

Iran's parliament speaker Ali Larijani said the bill was the country's "first action... to confront terrorist and adventurist actions by the United States in the region". There were no details of how much spending would be increased. A total of 240 parliamentarians out of 244 present voted for the bill.

On July 18, the U.S. Administration announced putting on a blacklist 18 organizations and persons, supporting the Iranian ballistic missile program, Iran's military purchases and IRGC.

Chants of "Death to America" broke out as the bill was passed, according to the country's state broadcaster IRIB.

The bill would allocate about $260 million each to Iran's ballistic-missile program and the Quds Force, the external branch of the IRGC that is said to be active in Syria and Iraq.


Iran denies violating the United Nations resolution which endorsed the Tehran's 2015 nuclear deal, preventing them from conducting activities related to ballistic missiles created to deliver nuclear weapons.

The bill is "very smart particularly because it doesn't violate the nuclear deal and doesn't allow the other side to make excuses", he added.

The Iranian plan would require Iran's government and armed forces to draw up a strategy to counter U.S. violations of human rights around the world, and to support Iranian bodies and individuals affected by American sanctions.

The bill still needs to pass a second vote before it is delivered to a clerical body for review and passage into law.


Sanctions against Iran is mainly in response to Tehran's growing missile programme.

Last week, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani warned Mr Trump that he risks political suicide if he scrapped the nuclear deal with Tehran.

He was referring to a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers, known officially as the JCPOA, under which Iran agreed to strict limits on its nuclear programme in exchange for an easing of sanctions.



Popular

CONNECT